Craft a one-of-a-kind teacher's gift
Craft a birdhouse for your feathered friends.
Our dried, cleaned gourds are a great choice for childrens' craft projects. Talk about a canvas that is inspired by NATURE.
Candy Corn Gourd
- Prep - Wrap stem of dried and cleaned gourd in painter's tape. We selected a gourd that approximated the shape of a piece of candy corn, but it could be fun to experiment with other shapes as well.
- Paint - We used gloss spray paint for a smooth transition from one color band to another.
- White base coat. Spray the entire gourd white (at least the top half). Allow to dry. Spray a second coat if needed for full coverage.
- Orange band. Spray the orange band starting about 1/3 down from the top of the gourd. It's best to rotate the gourd with your free hand on the stem while you hold the spray can steady. Helps achieve a somewhat even band. Re-coat as needed and allow to dry.
- Yellow band. Spray the yellow band on the bottom 1/3 of the gourd. We placed our gourd upside down on a plastic gardening pot for stability. Re-coat as needed and dry.
- Stem. Unwrap the painters tape and spray stem with gloss polyurethane for a finished look.