Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
Cool fall weather has us thinking comfort food – soups, stews, risotto, etc. This recipe caught our eye and it really satisfies. One medium squash can make this recipes four times over.
Below is breakdown of the types of cheese we used, but you can mix and match to include all your favorites.
- American cheese – a mainstay
- Boursin cheese – the recipe called for a semisoft cheese with garlic and herbs. We opted for Boursin just because we had some left from a wine & cheese tasting. Yummy! Although it probably more than offset the health benefits of using squash. Oops
- Sharp cheddar – Yes, we added even more cheese. A bit of sharp cheddar. Feta might be a good choice as well.
- Shredding squash – Initially, seemed kind of intimidating, but we didn’t want to muck up a food processor so we just shredded the squash with a food greater. Worked well and didn’t take long.
- Spicing it up – For those who like a little heat, we’d suggest adding some peppers. We’re going to give that a shot next time around.