Use a chopped apple to liven up coleslaw. The crunch of the slaw provides nice balance for the heavier tailgate fare such as barbecue and brats. Be sure to use a red apple and you can call it Husker slaw 😉
- No fuss no muss – Purchase one of those prebagged coleslaw mixes and add chopped apple.
- From scratch – Try Norma’s Coleslaw Recipe
Norma’s Coleslaw Recipe
- ½ medium-sized Nappa cabbage
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped sweet/crunchy apple (e.g., Gala or Jonathan)
- Dash of lemon/lime juice
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1 T butter
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Chop cabbage, onion and red pepper and toss together. Chop apple and sprinkle with lime/lemon juice before adding to salad mixture. (no peeling required).
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in separate bowl and mix into slaw.
- Toast almonds in butter on stovetop and add just before serving.
- We tried increasing the ratio of yogurt to mayo but found that if you go with more yogurt it can add a bitter taste. We settled on a half and half mix and found that worked well.
- Make ahead and refrigerate overnight, just hold off on adding the toasted almonds until you serve to keep them from getting soggy.
- Thanks, Norma!